2024-07 Digest: Registration Changes!

Jazzy Vidalia
Site Admin
Pronouns: it/fae/she

2024-07 Digest: Registration Changes!

Post by Jazzy Vidalia »

July 2024 Digest

Registration Updates

Due to the number of spam bots joining and accounts with zero posts we will be making some changes to the way we handle user registrations.

• Invite Codes: We have moved from a captcha model to an invite code system. Invite codes can be obtained though contacting a moderator.

• Two-Factor Authentication Optional: Since we were previously using 2FA as a stop gap to prevent spammers from accessing the boards, we have made this optional for new users going forward, but we still recommend you use it. You can also disable this feature in the User Control Panel.

• Immediate Registration: Moving to using invite codes has allowed us to get rid of e-mail verification of accounts. Going forward, if problems arise we will change this to moderation / admin verification of new users.

Upcoming Updates

On Monday (8 July 2024), I plan on disabling the forum for a bit to perform maintenance updates. The forum should be down for no longer than a day at most.

I am also beginning to draft out some ideas for a new lunarpunk.town site that will be easier to administer, have that classic cozy phosphor look and feel, and will be nicer to use. This will be a long-term project and may never see the light of day because I am not good at coding so don't expect this to be released until it's done which will definitely not be this year or next as I want to be able easily migrate the data over to the new system.